Wednesday, July 2, 2014

rest days





While skiing off the highway I ran into a character who told me about an experience with a "spirit animal" that told him what he needed to know about life. I have never had such an experience. We discussed whether his experience came from outside or from inside, like a subconscious projection thingy. His conclusion was that it didn't matter, only the message was important, not its source. 

While resting for week two I scoped out the trailhead where I had been warned of marmots eating radiator hoses and break lines. I came equipped with chicken wire, although my research indicated that this was more of a spring time problem and it was, after all, summer.

I woke in the night to the sound of teeth on metal, my favorite! I lept from my truck expecting to see a fat marmot or two scurrying away, but no, nothing. Back to sleep, repeat several times...this was not marmot behavior. Years ago in the Crazy Mountains I was visited by a similar character. After repeated shouts, projectiles and even a stern kick from within my bivy sac the visitor returned. 

This time I got out the headlamp. Holy crap, my spirit animal! Unsure of its intentions I stabbed it three times with a ski pole. Its mass was impressive. I was sure there would be blood, but the creature only let out a soft hiss with each pole thrust.

In the morning I awoke wondering if this had really happened. As if on cue, the creature made a rare day time appearance and spent the following night harmlessly chewing on my frame, weird!



Spiny Norman at ease.
Spiny Norman, stressing

how do these things mate?

posted up for the night

Mr. Rosy finch picked seeds from the snow/grass boundary all day

And there's usually one of these near the trail head...

uh....

When I first pulled in this guy landed on my side view mirror several times, very curious.


No comments:

Post a Comment