Tuesday, February 5, 2013

skiing and fishin'



A little fishing and lots of skiing. Last Sunday I woke at 4 AM to climb and ski the 5,000 foot south west face of Mt Mcaleb. On the road in I was faced with the question of how much momentum a Tacoma needs to plow through a snow drift of X size and Y density. Luckily, a quantitative answer was not required. All I needed to know was "the more the better". Eventually, however, X and Y became insurmountable, leaving me to dig out with only my hands since I had forgotten my shovel. I quickly came up with a plan B.

Copper Basin is about 40 minutes from my house, and has a plowed access road for all the snomo homo sapiens. I drove to the end of the plowing where a makeshift lot held a few gas guzzlers and a lot of broken beer bottles. From there, I was able to spin laps on a 1,000 foot face just off the road.

A species of Tillapia caught on a dry fly from a warm spring






Meadow skipping just of the road in copper basin